Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Toad in the Garden - Perspective of a Boy

As the sun began to set and the day grew cooler, Mom planted lifeless looking seeds into fresh soil. I, on the other hand, chased after adventure. My efforts were rewarded with the capture of a half a dozen sparkling bugs, glowing with fire. Then, to my delight, my mom calls with a new pursuit, a frog hopping in the garden. Now in my hands! I put him in the observation chamber. He's a toad, not a frog. He's so cute. Maybe I can keep him as a pet.


I watch as he snaps up his fellow captive fireflies. I hunt for more to satisfy his appetite, but find none. Mom says toads eat hundreds of bugs a night and I probably can't find that many. She says he'll eat mosquitos, too, those things that leave itching welps on my skin. I decide to release him so he can get back to his job and devour all of the mosquitos that come into our domain!
Maybe I'll see him again soon on night patrol. Wonder if he'll be glowing.

No comments: