Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My First Year with Chickens - Part Two


   


Eggs laid out and labeled by son

"C" is for Comet, the hen my son selected as his, meaning he named it and adores every egg she lays. She is a Wellsummer and her eggs are large and have a rich yolk. As you can see from the picture above, her eggs can be solid or speckled.

Comet, the Wellsummer

Annie lays the largest egg of all and is the most constant layer. We can count on her to lay an egg a day! The other girls sometimes skip days, or like Blossom, go broody and stop laying. She also has an excellent temperament. She gets along well with all of the others, is independent and persistent when finding food in the yard, and is usually easy to pick up and hold. She is a California White.

Annie, the California White


Liberty, named by my daughter, is a Barred Rock. She is Blossom's best friend and makes us laugh with her antics. Her eggs are so similar in color to Blossom's that I am not 100% sure I can tell them apart. Liberty is the chicken who sits on the fence, hops for a tasty treat, and is usually the first to come when a rock is turned over.

Liberty, the Barred Rock
Liberty, the fence walker

Through this first year, I have learned what a joy chickens can be. They actually enjoy doing yard work with me. Whenever I dig, rake, pull weeds, or plow, they are there. Opportunists they may be, but their companionship is still valued, not to mention I always have eggs to bake with, boil, or scramble. Fencing is my friend as I protect some of my plantings from pecking. Chicken compost is SO good for the garden, too! 


No comments: