We just finished reading Little House on the Prairie.
That was our read aloud for the summer.
At first it was hard for me to get into it, because the real story is
quite different from the TV version, which is what I was use to.
If you haven't read the book, don't read any further, because I give away the ending.
...
At the end of the book, they have to leave their house, the well they dug, the garden they just planted, and papa's plow and a cow and calf. They didn't sell those things, they were just LEFT BEHIND. It made me think about what's really important and how we cling to earthly things. Maybe you don't but I do. I think of it as being resourceful. I keep an item, because I might need it SOMEDAY. SOMEDAY I won't even BE HERE. And all THIS STUFF won't matter at all. The interesting thing is that the stuff the Ingalls left behind were things that someone could use, not just used up old stuff either. They lived simply, not alot of clutter, not alot of unneccessary things. They did have special things - pa's fiddle, ma's cooking things and cupboard, but everything they had, except the plow, fit in the wagon. Could we fit everything we had into a covered wagon? I don't think so. It barely fits in our house.
So, I hold what I have with open hands, willing if God sees fit to take it, or tell me to LEAVE IT.
No comments:
Post a Comment