Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Exploring Canada

We have finished our two weeks in Canada (not literally, just studying it). I think we enjoyed most learning about the Inuit (they use to be called eskimos). I found a book at the library called THE THREE SNOW BEARS. It was similar to Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but it takes place in the cold north and the bears are polar bears. It is a very cute story and the pictures are wonderful.

We learned how to make an igloo, and how the polar bears "migrate" during the different seasons. And I found it interesting that they basicly "hibernate" during the summer. They eat very little and their body slows down. They only eat in the winter. Just the opposite of bears here.
The kids enjoy getting their passport stamped each time we start on a new country. Hannah had in her possession a Canadian nickel. We don't know where it came from. I take that back. We know WHERE it came from, but we don't know how we ended up with it. Usually we have some Canadian pennies, but I could not find them.





We had pancakes and maple syrup during our "trip" and listened to a French language CD. Hannah liked the word Bonjour, and realized it was in a book that she has called Fancy Nancy's Fancy Words. Her reading has really improved this year and the Spelling Power is working great for her. She is doing more independent reading and writing, and is accepting correction better.



Josiah is on Lesson 9 in MFW Kindergarten. He has a pretty good grasp of the sound of most letters and is working on sounding out words. He likes to pick out books at the library and has me read them to him several times and then I see him sitting on his own "reading" from memory.
Hannah is doing Math drills with a Flashmaster that someone loaned us and she seems to enjoy it. Josiah has been using a die to practice math and now knows the numbers at a glance without counting the dots.
For science, the focus was rivers and lakes. I don't remember anything new or interesting about that. We read about different animals that live in the water, or spend part of their life in the water. We visited a lake and fed the geese and ducks.
Next up, Brazil!



No comments: