Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reading and Cooking

It can be hard to find good books for our children to enjoy - ones that they like and we want them to read. Some of the same ones Hannah was fond of are not Josiah's "cup of tea". Enter Mr. Putter and Tabby, a hit with Josiah.

 
What fun books! They are by Cynthia Rylant. Josiah is pretty picky about the books he reads (i.e.- if he doesn't find it interesting, it's not worth his effort), but he gets into these and so do I. I find myself laughing at the antics of the characters and the situations they find themselves in. If you have a youngster who is ready for easy chapter books. Let me recommend Mr. Putter and Tabby.
 
Another thing I would recommend is teaching your children to cook. It worked for me today. Josiah offered to cook supper. I asked him what he would fix. He said tomato soup and grilled cheese, because I had taught him how.
Once he had the "go ahead" from me, he proceeded to get out the ingredients and with some supervision, was able to do everything except turn on the gas stove (which I have not taught him to do yet ;) ).
 
 
 
That's one very proud 8 year old!
 
 
 
Cooking up his favorite grub!
 
 
Flippin' it to perfection!

No comments: