It all began in the fall of 1992.
I was living in the town of Euharlee (in Cartersville).
My Irish Setter/Lab mix had passed away at the age of 10 or 11.
I told myself I would not get another dog.
Until I saw a picture of some homeless Australian Shepherd mix puppies
in the local newspaper.
I could not get that picture out of my mind.
But when I called the Bartow Animal Shelter, it seemed I was too late.
The puppies were gone they said.
Mournfully, I went to the shelter anyway, at their suggestion
to see if there was another dog I might adopt.
After looking at all the dogs, I knew none of them were for me.
Imagine my joy when on going to the puppy room, I saw in the corner
a litter of six Australian mix pups huddled in a crate.
I was surprised that in spite of what I was told, there they were.
And that had I not gone anyway, I would have missed this.
When they let the little ones out, two stayed in the crate next to each other
just looking at me.
I don't recall when I first started thinking that two dogs would be better than one,
but there at that moment I knew that they were the ones for me.
Back then it was only $35 dollars to adopt a puppy
and that included their first set of shots and a spay/neuter certificate.
I had been reading a book by Philip Keller on Psalm 23.
In it he referred to goodness and mercy as God's watchdogs.
I looked up the Hebrew and found "tov" and "chesed".
I named the dark colored male Tov (goodness).
The "ch" being a hard "H" sound made it difficult to say
every time calling a dog, so I gave her the nickname Kessy.
(I will post more of this story over the next week as I remember with fondness these little gifts from God that I enjoyed for almost 16 years.)
2 comments:
Those dogs are so sweet!
I can't wait to hear the rest of the story,
Sherri
Post a Comment