Friday, May 21, 2010

Exploring Australia

We're back from our adventure in the Outback! Josiah really liked the idea of boomerangs and was sure he could kill a snake with one if given the chance.

Hannah was happy just to cuddle with a Koala and learn about other marsupials.

We've been doing some Global Art from this book throughout the year. I say some, because we really did not do that much. My kids do so well coming up with their own ideas.


But I chose this one from the Australia section because I was curious about it. These are the ingredients.


These are the results. Can you figure out what it is suppose to be?




A yummy treat that's alot of fun to make and eat, but not much to behold. The book makes it look alot better than in real life. Store-bought peanut butter might have been easier to work with, too. We've been making our own.




We stretched out our study of Australia over three weeks. One evening we went to Outback Steakhouse. Hannah ordered Chicken on the Barbie (that's just aussie for barbeque). We let the kids have lollie water (soda). We put on our cozzies (swimsuits) and got in the pool. The kids watched FINDING NEMO. What was that address again? P Sherman 42 Sydney? Something like that. And I also made some good Australian tucker (food), like Australian Beef Curry. This is Theron's favorite recipe that I make in the pressure cooker.


Hannah and I made Damper bread to go with it (oops, it was a little heavy, I forgot it called for-self-rising flour). It looks good, though, especially on the bread tray Theron gave me for Mother's Day. The tray was hand-carved in India.



Then there was Australian beef pie! We made one without cheese. Hannah is not a cheese lover.



If you come around here, you might hear Hannah singing the Kookaburra song.
We've had a beaut of a time, but we really must be going . . . farther down under where it might be snowing. On to Antarctica, south is our goal . . . We might even reach it to the Pole.







1 comment:

Meggan said...

Your Mother's Day tray is beautiful! The food looks really yummy too.