Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hummingbird Rescue

Today, we got to view a hummingbird up close. The poor thing had flown into our screened-in porch. I snapped some pictures, then we opened both doors hoping he would see his way of escape.

He would fly to the tops of the windows, but never low enough to go through the door. We watched from the den as he actually flew toward us and perched above the den door, and then tried to fly into the glass. With no foothold, he slid down the glass and fell exhausted at the bottom. He looked so pitiful, I had to do something. I went out and carefully scooped him up.

His body was so still in my hand, no struggling to free himself and his little eyes were closing. When I opened my hand he just lay there, floppin over on his side like he might die. Was he fainting from fear or was he just plumb out of energy? Hannah had done some quick thinking and made some fresh sugar water, that I had already put into our hummingbird feeder to try to entice him to freedom. Good thing! I quickly took him over to it, but it was obvious he was not moving. I carefully held him in a head down position and put his beak into the hole. His throat began to move, sucking up the sweet water. I called for Hannah to bring the camera, and by the time she got there, he was beginning to revive. He was opening his eyes and holding his head up to look around and I could feel his body become more alert, as well. I cupped my hand back over him long enough for Hannah to get this picture, right before he took to flight.

What a relief to see him ascend straight up into the trees full of energy again and life!


3 comments:

Abby said...

Awwww... it is SO CUTE!


Abby :D

Meggan said...

Wow! That's so great!

Dee Dee said...

Would you believe this happened to us a few days ago, too? One got on our screened porch, we thought he was gonna be done for b/c he let Paul pick him up, we fed him sugar water and he flew off. It really surprised us! It is really funny that we both had the same exciting experience! We took pictures too, but we haven't posted them anywhere yet. Was yours a ruby-throated hb?