Sunday, July 31, 2011

Southeast Homeschool Expo 2011

This is usually my kickoff encouragement before I start my school year, but this year things were different.
Number 1 - I had already started our school year, but you know what, it still was encouraging. It's always a good time for encouragement in homeschool.
Number 2 - We enrolled the kids in Kidzone for Friday, which gave Theron and I some time for just the two of us.

After dropping the kids off, we sat down in the Atrium with some coffee and discussed the workshops we were going to attend.

Cumberland Galleria

Head of the Rose Team

tools of the trade
Then we headed off to hear some great speakers.

Steve Demme of Math-U-See He encourages families in a witty yet also serious way and shared how God led him to create the Math-U-See program. It was my first time ever hearing him speak. We went to three of his workshops and came away full.

The Razvis First time hearing this couple speak also about their family and things that have worked for them and their large family. They have alot of wisdom for those who add to their families through adoption.

After some workshops, we picked up the kids for lunch and got to hear some of what they had seen, like the Lego movie from Shatterpoint Entertainment about the Israelites in the dessert, and cool science experiments.

Student 1

Student 2
After lunch, they got to go back and see a preview of the Dolphin Tale movie and critters from Zoo Atlanta, and hear a storyteller.

Part of that evening after we picked the kids and up, and the next day, they got to go through the vendor hall with us.
The Atlanta History Center had a nice exhibit.

"I can't see you very well through this monocle, but I will still tell you a thing or two."

"I am so STRONG."

Then there is always the chess area.

The Thinker


"Hmmm, this looks like a good move."

It's fun to try out the samples.

"I'm all ears."

"Crank it up."
The kids also got to go to some workshops with us on Saturday. We also got to go by the Dolphin Tale booth and see one of the actors, get a signed movie poster, and get a dolphin balloon hat.


The Hat



 We always let the kids get something that is around $5. Hannah chose a horse color by number picture and modeling clay, and Josiah's choice was a book on How to Draw Dinosaurs.

Until next year!

The Roses are leaving the building.

No comments: