Monday, June 18, 2012

Passages 2012

On June 16th, we met some friends at the Passages Exhibit. It was really very interesting and covers the history of the written Word. The kids wore headsets that explained the artifacts to them, so they did not have to read everything. There were also videos throughout of people in history (portrayed by actors of course) speaking to you about their involvement with scripture, as well as lifelike moving figures that "talked" to you.
No photography was allowed inside the museum, so all of the pictures in the Smilebox were taken before we went in, during our lunch break, and in an area off the gift shop where I practiced being a modern day scribe.
If I wondered about it being worth it to go before, I have no doubt now that it was definitely a meaningful thing for our family to experience. It was very well done. When you entered each section, there was a wall map that highlighted what part of the world and what time period the exhibit displayed. There was also a fun aspect for the kids. They were on a mission to find Louis the Lion and his paw prints and listen to him on the IPOD when they entered the number on the paw print. He would give them two riddles to solve - one serious and one silly. Josiah loved that part.
Would you believe, our Latin word for Monday following this trip was 'liber'. It means book. I did not know that before. Maybe you did. It thrilled me, because I had seen that word so many times at the exhibit on the Latin manuscripts and was unsure of it's meaning.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow personalized with Smilebox

No comments: