Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adventures - Pumpkin Experiments

During 2008 Thanksgiving holidays, Hannah got to do her science experiments at Grandmother and Grandfather's. Hannah recorded everyone's predictions and her observations in a notebook.

How much do you think this pumpkin weighs? How big around is it? And will it float? You'll find the answers below each picture.


This little pumpkin weighed in at 3 and a half pounds. We had asked if people thought it weighed more, or less than 5 lbs. Most people guessed less and they were right.


For this one, we asked . . . "more than 12 inches around or less than 12 inches around?" It was 19 5/8". Most people got this right, too.



And yes, it floats! Most people thought it wouldn't. Only cousin Valerie had all correct predictions.

Later on, after we got home, we opened the pumpkin, took out the seeds and counted them. Hannah thought there would only be maybe twenty seeds. There were almost 500! As you can see I put them in piles of ten each, so she could count them by tens. We tried toasting the seeds and eating them. I liked it. The kids didn't. I also tried to cook the pumpkin and make something out of it. Hannah loves pumpkin pie. But I don't remember how that turned out.


1 comment:

Meggan said...

Who ever knew that pumpkins could float?! How about that!